The Dyal Singh Trust Library, located at Nisbat Road, near Lakshmi Chowk, was established in 1908 in pursuance of the Will of the Sardar Dyal Singh Majithia. The library was initially established in the residence of Sardar Dyal Singh Majithia, and upon completion of the existing building it was shifted there in 1928 with one thousand books and initial amount of Rs. 60,000 for financial requirements of the library.
During the partition, large number of books and furniture of the library were damaged due to migration of its trustees and the library was closed down for 12 years and in 1964, the Evacuee Trust Property Board taken control of it and revived it.
In 1985, under a directive of the President of Pakistan, its administrative control was transferred to the Education Department, Govt. of the Punjab, but was again repatriated to the Evacuee Trust Property Board, Government of Pakistan, in 1989.
The library has an annual budget of Rs18 million. It has seven thousand members out of which one thousand are lifetime members. From 150 to 200 people visits the library every day. Dayal Singh Library houses 176,000 books and 10,000 periodicals.